Back to Blog Main Page

First (Real) Knitting Project

October 15, 2020

The last couple of weeks have been a little more about hobbies for me. I decided to pursue knitting again. I learned how to knit back in high school, but I don’t exactly know what I made. Since I never really did it again, I don’t remember anymore how to do it right. But thanks to the internet, it was easy to learn it again.

There are really nice projects to make, so it was so easy and motivating to pursue it. A website I found is that of a store in New York, Purl Soho.

But for a first project, I settled on a pattern my husband saw at a store in Austin, Gauge. It was an infinity cowl in three colors: sage green, vanilla, and blue. I thought it was nice, so I picked it. I bought the yarns according to what’s in the pattern and just followed it. I loved how it turned out! I can’t wait to wear it.

cowl

While I really liked how it turned out, making it was a different story. The project involved knitting using two yarns together using the seed stitch (knits and purls together in one row). To make the transition from one block of color to the next, you use two yarns of different colors: one from the previous solid block to the next solid block. For example, I would be using the vanilla yarn and the sage green yarn together between the solid vanilla and the solid sage green blocks.

Since I haven’t knitted in a long time, it was a mistake for me not to check how knits and purls were done. I was already in the transition between vanilla and sage green when I realized that I was doing my knits and purls wrong. In the end, I “frogged” (the process of ripping a crochet or knitting project) and started again from scratch. The problem was since I was using two yarns together, winding the frogged yarns weren’t fun.

This project taught me how to be patient, and how to fix mistakes using a crochet hook. I realized eventually that I can fix wrong stitches even if I was already several rows ahead of the row that contains the mistake (but not worth the trouble if it’s way, way behind the current row). However, I still had a few mistakes, especially in the beginning, before I realized that I can fix it. I finished this project after about two weeks.

Despite the trouble I went through, I really liked the cowl. It’s very soft (it’s made of 100% superwash merino wool) and I love the colors. I wouldn’t mind making it again in different colors. It would be just a matter of picking the right combination.

I have this project up on Ravelry.